Girls Soccer Beats Free State

The Manhattan Indians Varsity Soccer team moves to 3-1-1 on the season following a hard-fought 3-1 win against Free State.

“It feels good we beat them last year,” forward Tess Henry said. “Just glad we could beat them this year and start off with a winning record this season.”

Free State (0-3) set the tone early, scoring the first goal of the game with 22:27 left to go in the first half. Unfortunately for the Fire Birds, that was the only goal the Indians would give up all game.

“We just started playing together more and stopped arguing through the lines and just played better together,” Henry said.

Manhattan responded with a goal of their own from senior Emery Ruliffson (her 6th goal of the season) with 12:47 remaining in the first period tying the game up 1-1.

“…Once we got it figured out, we kind of took the game over,” Head Coach Mike Sanchez said.

MHS added to it the second half. MHS senior Chloe Porter scored a goal 7 minutes into the second half giving the Indians their first lead of the game 2-1. The Indians put the cherry on top with a goal from sophomore Tess Henry with 18:44 left to go in the game, sealing the victory.

Manhattan has two more home games this week. On Saturday April 6, Manhattan hosts Hays. But before that on Thursday April 4, Manhattan faces off against bitter rival Washburn Rural.

“It’s gonna be a very competitive game,” Sanchez said.” We’re gonna come out with everything we have.  And they’re always gonna give us their best and we’re gonna give them our best.”