The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

Soccer battles back to beat Topeka 2-1

The Manhattan Indians Girl Soccer team is in fifth place in the State 6A West Regional standings, with a record of 6-3-1 in the first half of the season following last week’s win against Topeka High.

Topeka scored first making the score 1-0 at half time.

“We had a bad first half,” senior center back Grace Geisbrecht said. “It was honestly the worst half we’ve played all season.”

With their backs against the wall, the Indians had to make the second half better than the first.

“In the second half  we came together as a team and really started working together,” Geisbrecht said.

The Indians left the Trojans scoreless in the second half. But down one point with less than 10 minutes left in the game, what the Indians really needed was a jolt of energy to their offense. That jolt of energy came with a goal from freshman Lauren Booe off of a cross with 7 minutes left in the game tying it up 1-1. A few minutes later, senior Emery Ruliffson scored off of a last minute penalty kick sealing the Indians victory 2-1.

“It was a rewarding feeling because we battled back,” Geisbrecht said.

The Indians have three more games this month. Yesterday the Indians played at Trinity Academy. April 27, the Indians host Blue Valley at Bishop Stadium. And to finish off the month, on April 30, Manhattan has a road matchup against Wichita Northwest.