Girls Swim and Dive Takes first at Topeka West

Hunter Flagg

The Manhattan Girls Swim and Dive team finished each their first three meets of April in the top four.

On April 4, the Indians finished in second place out of seven schools at the Salina South meet. Two days later, on April 6, MHS was fourth out of 13 schools in the Trinity Academy Invitational in Wichita. On April 10, Manhattan crushed the competition, finishing in first place out of eight schools in the Topeka West Invite, which was the fifth time this season that the team has finished on the podium.

Over the last few meets, especially the Topeka West Invite, many swimmers have tried different races than the races they typically compete in.

“Doing the same thing over and over tends to get a little heavily repetitive on athletes and their bodies,” head coach Alex Brown said.

Diversifying strokes that swimmers compete in can also give swimmers the chance to find out what their biggest strengths are.

Out of the many great swimmers for Manhattan a few names stuck out the most for Coach Brown, including sophomore Caris Goering and freshman Delaney Saucier.

“[Caris] is swimming really well the last few meets.” “[Saucier] kind of does a little bit of everything,” Brown, said.

It’s not just swimmers that have found success this year for MHS. Senior diver Bre Sanneman crushed her state qualifying dive score on April 10.

The Indians have two more regular season meets this season. On Wednesday, April 17, MHS travels back to Topeka for the Hayden High Invite. On Friday, April 19, the Tribe will compete in the Marion Invite for the first time ever. After that, the team will have a couple weeks off in preparation for the Centennial League meet on May 9.

The team has high hopes for the rest of the season.

“Get some people qualified and to try to make it [to State], that’s our biggest goal this year,” Brown, said.