Admin updates multiple policies

As the school year draws to a close, administrators and counselors are working towards finalizing concurrent Kansas State University and Manhattan Area Technical College classes for the 2024-25 school year. Most notably, the school district agreed to a revitalized Memorandum of Understanding with MATC.

“We are happy to see that the MOU is going back to what it was,” Principal Michael Dorst said.

The agreement reinstates the 75% reimbursement MHS receives for concurrent classes (the previous mark during the funding disagreement was 50%). In addition, all classes previously within the MATC agreement will remain available to MHS students.

CTE and Excel classes will continue to be free for students, as USD383 receives funding through the MATC partnership. While many other school districts receive weighted funding from the state for these programs, the local partnership with MATC allows MHS to continue to offer various CTE opportunities free of charge.

Regarding concurrent K-State classes, these opportunities have been advertised to students over the past months through parents square. In addition, counselors have been involved working with students to determine prerequisites and class arrangement.

“K-State has provided a lot of support,” Dorst said. “There are a group of people at K State that are working closely with us and they are looking to hire a person for their KSU pre-college program … that will continue that relationship.”

In other administrative news, earlier this month, MHS implemented a two lunch system, replacing the three lunch system that was in place for much of the school year. Feedback has been varied among students and staff. According to Principal Dorst, the majority of faculty and staff are on board with the new lunch system. On the other hand, many students have advocated for a return of the 5th hour study hall period that was in place in the previous schedule.

“Right now there is more than 95% support for the [new] lunch schedule with our staff,” Dorst said. “[For students] there is a desire to want to keep some form of study hall … looking if there are ways in our schedule in the future that we can enhance that and incorporate that.”

Admin will reevaluate schedules and structure for the upcoming 2024-25 school year.