Softball finishes regular season

Following a win over Washburn Rural on May 7, Manhattan High Softball gained the Centennial League Championship before racking up a win and a loss in a Senior Night double header against Hays and Salina South last Thursday to finish the regular season.

The game against Washburn Rural was one of the best games MHS has played recently.

“It went really well,” sophomore Kat Ball said. “I thought we were working together and we were great as a team.”

That level of teamwork helped MHS in Thursday’s win against Hays with the score 4-0, but wasn’t enough to push them past Salina South as the home team lost 9-6.

“The game Friday against Salina South and Hays was definitely a challenge,” Neitzel said. “Those two teams are better than some of the teams we have seen this year so we were definitely challenged.”

Ball agreed that working together as a team was what helped MHS through the two games.

“I think I played pretty well,” Ball said. “I tried just helping my teammates and bringing them up. I feel like we are a family so really if i don’t do as good it doesn’t matter as long as the team does well.”

Between the two games Manhattan recognized the seven seniors who are on the softball team: Neitzel, Kailey Wetherington, Jaden McGee, Anna Wollenburg, McKenzie Reid, Taylor Riffel and Macey Pecenka.

Going forward, the Softball team still has the opportunity to work together and make it through playoffs.

“I just think that we can hit a lot better than we did on that day,” Neitzel said. “So I think that if we play one of our best games in Regionals we have a really good chance of going to State.”

Manhattan starts Regionals today against Lawrence Free State.