FCCLA attends state conference

Angie Moss, Business Manager

Manhattan High’s Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) traveled to Wichita for three days for the 69th annual State conference.

For most of the MHS attendees, going to the State conference was a new experience.

“I wanted to see what FCCLA State would be like and I like being involved in FCCLA because I like the environment and the attitude of the people around me,” sophomore Brooke Lawrence said.

There were several events at the conference including banquets for retiring and incoming officers, Students Taking Action with Recognition (STAR) Event competitions, track sessions and a gala. Although no one from Manhattan competed in any STAR Events, the students enjoyed helping things go smoothly as well as attending the other events throughout the conference.

“For the track session I did the Destructive Driving and I made a good choice because it was great to hear about Jacob Smith’s accident that left him with brain, back and ankle injuries from a bad decision the driver made,” freshman Ericka Miranda said.

FCCLA members from all over Kansas came together Monday night during the opening session and then attended the gala at the end of the night. The gala was DJ’d by a former FCCLA member who started his business through a STAR event in the Entrepreneurship category as a high school student. Another event that was taking place at the gala was a hypnotist. FCCLA members volunteered to be hypnotised in front of a crowd of people.

“It was very interesting to see how people reacted to the hypnotist. I didn’t want to participate in it because I don’t believe in it,” freshman Selena Dewitt said.

Advisers also attended meetings during the conference to learn how to run the various STAR events as a room consultant as well as a recognition meeting with the Peer Education team.

“My favorite part is always working with STAR events and being able to see what the kids throughout the state are able to accomplish,” adviser Heide Rippert said. “As an adviser I also enjoyed meeting with other family and consumer science teachers and FCCLA advisers and being able to share other ideas and build the friendships we have.”

For senior Kristen Fraley, this was her final conference as a high school student. Fraley has been a member for four years and has been impacted by FCCLA in many ways. FCCLA has inspired her to major in leadership studies in college.

“With Peer education, which is my state position, we had a banquet that celebrated our year so it was good to celebrate all of the accomplishments we’ve had in the past year and enjoy being together,” Fraley said. “I think it was good experience to have closure because since it is my last conference ever it was nice to have that closure of seeing everybody one last time and getting to experience it for a fourth year.”