NHS continues to prepare for next school year

Madeline Marshall, News Editor

After holding officer elections and subsequently inducting new members, National Honors Society is making major strides in preparing for the next school year. NHS sponsor Robin Smith hopes that next year’s members will be an active part of the community.

“Every year I hope to improve the activities and the service projects that we do for National Honors Society and I hope to have our organization be an important part of assisting needs around the school — needs of other students, other faculty — to be helpful and to be of service and continue to maintain high grade standards,” Smith said.

The newly elected NHS President, junior MacKenzie Gwinner, is looking forward to progressing the organization.

“I hope that everyone really gets involved this year and that most of the inductees will volunteer and be involved,” Gwinner said. “My goals would probably be to expand donations — I want to do collections for the emergency and animal shelters — and to raise more money through the fashion show to give to charity. I also want to continue helping people in the school and community who are less fortunate through the current service projects.”

Junior Matt Bandy, next year’s NHS treasurer, has similar hopes.

“I hope that members involvement in the club will be greater than in years past so we can better the school and the community,” Bandy said.

Gwinner hopes to add on to the long list of service projects NHS completes each year.

“I want us to collect needed items for the emergency and animal shelters and I would like to do something kind of like collecting for toys for tots,” Gwinner said. “The officers and Mrs. Smith are also going to brainstorm about how we can do more to help the people here at MHS.”

“I hope the Christmas toys project that the president [Gwinner] suggested happens,” Bandy said. “We’ll host a toy donation for children whose parents can’t afford gifts. Every member adds something to the club.”

For next year’s members expectations are high and officers encourage them to be as active as possible.

“Members who are the most involved will enjoy and get the most out of the club,” Bandy said. “I’m incredibly excited for the new year and all our new members.”

“There are lots of opportunities to be involved with the club,” Gwinner said. “If you don’t think that you have time, check the nurse’s office or talk to someone in charge. Don’t just decide to do nothing. I’m expecting a lot of success next year.”