Girls swim places third in Great Bend

Angie Moss, Business Manager

Last Friday Manhattan High School’s girls swim team placed third with 313 points at the Great Bend Invitational.

Unlike most swim meets, this invitational was aimed more toward having fun than getting a new PR.

“It was fun because that race is only done at that one meet so it’s new and just fun,” senior Alyssa Frey said.

MHS placed third in the 200 yard medley relay and fourth in the 400 yard freestyle relay. Individual placers including senior Mariah Scipio placing second in the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 26.94 and the 100 yard freestyle with a time of 59.72 as well as freshman Luann Jung placing first in the 200 yard IM with a time of 2:26.74 and the 100 yard breaststroke with a time of 1:16.27

With the season coming to an end, swimmers are focusing on getting a time that will qualify them for state.

“I wanted to PR in both of my races because I’m one second away from consideration [for the state meet],” freshman Victoria Bedros said. “But my cap fell off in one of my races but it was a really fun meet because you know that so many of your team members are there for you even if you don’t PR so it was a really fun experience.”

Although the meet was not supposed to be a fast meet, some of the swimmers are disappointed about not earning a new PR.

“I was really happy but both times I didn’t drop time — they weren’t my best times so I was kind of happy, kind of not at the same time,” Jung said.

Manhattan also hosted a diving invitational friday night in which sophomore Elizabeth Underwood placed third at.

“When I was told that I placed third, at first I was just shocked,” Underwood said. “I didn’t think I’d ever place in the top three. It was a huge confidence boost.”