Track teams win Seaman Relays, compete in Manhattan

Erick Echegaray, Staff Writer

The Manhattan High track team sprinted back into action this weekend with two meets, one at home. The Manhattan Small Schools Invite took place this past Saturday as the J.V. team looked to succeed in what was only its second home meet of the year. There have only been two meets at Bishop this year, all of them have been JV meets.

MHS competed with smaller schools around Kansas at Bishop Stadium in many events as mostly freshmen and sophomores competed in these events. After the cancellation of the only home Varsity meet of the season last weekend, the team was ready to get back to action when it traveled to Seaman to compete in the Seaman Relays last Friday. Both the boys and the girls achieved first place.

“It all went really good; there was about 26 teams there,” sophomore varsity runner Mikela Robinson said.

She along other competitors are preparing to give MHS their eighth straight Centennial girls title later this month.

“There was a lot of good competition, the team did well, as for myself I jumped 6’2” and I got third place,” sophomore varsity high-jumper Tom Haug said.

He will also look to give MHS another Centennial League title; it would be the 10th title in a row for the boys if this feat is achieved.

The JV track team will compete again in what will be their final competition of the season when they travel to Washburn Rural for the Washburn Rural Invitational. Finally, Varsity will also jump back to action this Friday when it travels to Salina for the Salina Relays in preparation for the Centennial meet that will take place next Thursday.