Soccer edges Wichita Northwest, blows out Highland Park in consecutive days

Erick Echegaray, Staff Writer

Senior goalie Molly Fiser and company faced off against Wichita Northwest on Tuesday as the Manhattan High girls soccer team edged Wichita Northwest by a score of 5-4. MHS (6-2-2) came into the game unbeaten in the last two games as it defeated Wichita Heights and tied against Blue Valley Stillwater last week.

The game would kick off to an immediate attack by Manhattan and before long, only five minutes into the game, freshman Addy Stone put the Lady Indians up by one. Almost immediately Wichita Northwest would break MHS’ backline and before the 10-minute mark, the score was tied up once again.

Freshman Cailey Perkins would continue the goal-fest with an outside the box strike that ended up in the back of the net. The goal was her 10th of the season and it put Manhattan up by a score 2-1.

The beginning of the second half would bring about more goals and the Lady Indians would be up 5-2 late in the game. Fueled by a late goal, Wichita Northwest tried to come back but it failed as the final score ended at 5-4.

“It was a really tough matchup,” Junior Varsity midfielder Ashley Stuckwisch said. She has one goal and one assist so far this year.

The Lady Indians have only five games remaining this season and will travel to Topeka to play against Highland Park today.

“I’m excited, it’s usually a fun game,” Stuckwisch said.

After an 11-0 blowout over Highland Park yesterday, Manhattan returns to action today to host Hayden.