Project Graduation provides seniors with a safe, fun-filled night

Angie Moss, Business Manager

Food, prizes, inflatable obstacle courses and a rock climbing wall are all things that are available to seniors at Project Graduation the night of graduation. The party starts at 9 p.m. and ends at 1 a.m.

The event is sponsored by drug and alcohol prevention coordinator Kari Humes and is chaperoned by parents and faculty members. Parents and various business around town are donating food for the seniors to eat as well as prizes that will be given away at the end of the night. Prizes include gift certificates, Beats headphones, Manhattan High apparel and donations from Pathfinder, Arby’s, Panera and Target. The final prize of the night is a $500 cash prize. Students must stay the whole night to win a prize.

“It’s really cool. It is such a fun event. Every year, usually about 75 percent of the graduating class comes,” Humes said. “I’ve been advertising it on Facebook and in emails to parents so hopefully people come. It’s a lot of fun. People get to hang out together one last time after they’ve graduated.”

Like Prom night, graduation night also has a history of being potentially dangerous for teens. The activities that are available at Project Graduation give students an alternative to making destructive decisions.

“It’s a night where I think that students are at a higher risk of going out and drinking or doing other destructive behaviors and this is just a fun, free thing for them to do,” Humes said. “That night is always a really great time for people.”