Football trounces Topeka West on Homecoming night

Greg Woods, Online Editor-in-Chief

It was a slow start for the Indians, but that didn’t stop them from dealing another blowout.

The Manhattan High football team earned its second-consecutive rout Friday night, a 50-7 win over Topeka West on homecoming night. With the win, MHS moves to 4-1 overall on the season.

The scoring was primarily handled by junior quarterback Ian Trapp and junior running back Keiadrain McDonald, who accounted for six of Manhattan’s seven touchdowns of the game. Trapp said he was happy with the progress his team made after last Friday’s road win.

“Going into the Highland Park game, we were kind of unfocused,” Trapp said. “So I think we kind of got a little bit more focused this week, especially going into J.C. next week. We’re going to have to build on that, and keep the momentum that we got going [tonight].”

The Chargers relied heavily on the pass, more so than any of Manhattan’s opponents this year — Topeka West quarterback Zach Shima launched 30 passes, many of them deep balls downfield. One was a 34-yard touchdown pass to six-foot-five receiver Jordan Newby. Head coach Joe Schartz said he was pleased with how his defense defended the Chargers’ aerial attack.

“We did okay. We laid back and played coverage, and we didn’t bring a lot of blitz or a lot of pressure,” Schartz said. “So at times, he had time to stand back there and deliver the ball, but other than the one touchdown, we didn’t ever give up the big play, so that’s the positive.”

Senior linebacker A.J. Pablo agreed.

“Defense did really well,” Pablo said. “We didn’t give up many big plays. We gave up that one big play, the touchdown, but other than that, they didn’t have that many big plays. They didn’t convert that much.”

After scoring just once in the first frame, a one-yard touchdown rush from senior Blake Wewer, Manhattan picked up momentum in the second. Trapp completed a 15-yard touchdown pass to McDonald, and the running back punched it in from two yards out at the end of the half. The Indians led 22-0 at intermission.

Friday was McDonald’s first game back in action since Sept. 4 against Shawnee Heights. He said he’s getting close to 100 percent, and Schartz concurred.

“[He’s] obviously rusty,” Schartz said. “But I think everyone feels comfortable offensively when he’s in there. We’re going to need him to get better. I’m glad to have him back.”

The Indians scored on their first possession of the second half when Trapp found junior Tariq Gerald for 10 yards and a touchdown, and Trapp later hooked up with Pablo on a 22-yard screen pass for a touchdown. MHS led 36-0 at the 2:50 mark of the third quarter.

On the Chargers’ ensuing possession, sophomore Jalin Harper picked off Shima after several deflections. Manhattan scored off the turnover, a 30-yard rush from McDonald, his third score on the night. The Indians’ advantage swelled to 43-0.

“I felt good,” McDonald said. “It was nice to [get back on the field]. I liked it.”

The lone Topeka West touchdown came early in the fourth quarter, when Shima hit Newby for a touchdown pass. It was 43-7 with 10:35 left, but MHS wasn’t done offensively.

Trapp finished off his night with a 10-yard scamper into the endzone two minutes later, topping off homecoming night in the Little Apple.

Manhattan hosts Junction City (5-0) next Friday, the 101st renewal of the rivalry. Schartz said he anticipates the contest to live up to the annual hype.

“When these two teams get together, throw the records out the window,” Schartz said. “It’s a rivalry game, and the Silver Trophy’s on the line. You’re going to get both teams’ best. Anything can happen in that game, so we just have to go to work, put together a good gameplan, and try to keep the kids focused and not distracted.”

Trapp anticipates sticking to the run-oriented style against the Blue Jays.

“We’re a run-first team,” Trapp said. “Unless they can stop us, we’re going to try to run it down their throats.”