Anniversary of missing students reminds of corruption within Mexican government

Erick Echegaray, Sports Editor

A year later and still no trace, no bodies and no explanation. A year later and this tragedy remains unsolved and uncovered. A year later and protests still fill the streets and people still call for justice.

Last week marked the one year anniversary of the disappearance of the 43 students that mysteriously vanished from the face of the earth without reasonable explanation, yet a year later the Mexican government has not been able to tell its people what really happened. What did happen? Nobody really knows. Protests continue all across the country including in the district of Guerrero. Protest is actually what started the whole thing. Students protested a conference involving the mayor of the city. Afterwards they disappeared, leaving behind speculation that it was the mayor who planned the kidnapping and disappearing. How? It’s speculated that he handed the students over to the local gang, believe it or not. The students were never heard of again. The mayor and his wife were arrested while the city’s chief of police is still a fugitive one year later. Apart from the 43 students that disappeared that day, three others were killed by police, and many others have been killed in protest since then.

The people still just ask for answers, and they search for the truth beyond whatever lie the Mexican government can make up to clear up for their corruption. Their version of whatever happened to the bodies of the students is unrealistic and even impossible as proven by international studies. Yet the Mexican government, even with it’s many cases of corruption and even crime, still stands and goes on without worry. President Enrique Peña Nieto is much to blame for this. On Oct. 2, he met with the families of the students to consider re-opening the case to another investigation, different from the one being conducted now, and shut down their request. Peña Nieto even had the audacity to state more than five times (with a straight face) at a recent UN meeting, that Mexico is “a nation fully committed to law, human rights, and peace.” The hypocrisy of the Mexican government has angered many but until now there has been no action or strong movement by the people to change what needs to be changed. The families of 43 students of Ayotzinapa Normal School still hold on to the hope that some of their loved ones might still be alive, or at least that they can find their bodies and be able to bury their dead the right way. The search continues and so do protests, protests showing that the Mexican people have not forgotten and will not forget about this tragic incident, that they will not stop fighting for their rights against that corrupt government.