Football clipped in overtime by Junction City

Manhattan High’s Varsity football team anchors down to go head to head aganist Junction City High School in the secodn quarter of the game on Friday, October 9th. Manhattan High lost in overtime with the score of 17-14.

Greg Woods, Online Editor-in-Chief

• Sophomore Thomas Gevock set up the kick at Friday night’s Varsity football game, against Junction City; in overtime the team lost by three.

• Manhattan High’s Varsity football team anchors down to go head to head aganist Junction City High School in the secodn quarter of the game on Friday, October 9th. Manhattan High lost in overtime with the score of 17-14.

• Junior Ian Trapp looks for an open receiver downfield Friday night. The Varsity football team lost in overtime against Junction City, on Friday, October 9th, 14-17.

Whether or not Manhattan and Junction City play well in the games before their annual meeting never seems to affect their matchup.

The same held true Friday night at Bishop Stadium.

In a game with a plethora of momentum swings and drama, the Blue Jays (6-0, 6-0) reclaimed the Silver Trophy with a 17-14 overtime win over the Indians (4-2, 4-2) in Manhattan Friday night. JC’s Wayne Shirley hit a 27-yard field goal in overtime to win it.

There were plenty of theatrics before the field goal. On Manhattan’s previous possession, the Indians got within a foot of the endzone but were unable to convert when junior quarterback Ian Trapp came up short of the goal line on fourth down.

Manhattan also had a chance to take the lead late in regulation with a field goal, but junior Andrew Scott’s attempt from 28 yards missed the mark. Scott also missed a 33-yarder in the third quarter. Head coach Joe Schartz said that factored into his fourth-down play call in overtime.

“We had obviously struggled in the kicking game, and we were that close,” Schartz said. “If it was three or four yards [further away], I might have thought about kicking it in overtime, but it was a half a yard.”

The Blue Jays then got the ball, and Shirley split the uprights.

Schartz felt Trapp scored on the deciding fourth down.

“We scored. [It was] six inches, and we got two feet,” Schartz said. “We were in. The ball should have been dead at that point… That’s one of the risks you take running a quarterback sneak, is that the officials couldn’t see it.”

Junction City took back momentum late in the third quarter when Timothy Bell snatched up a fumbled handoff from Trapp to junior Keiadrian McDonald and took it 50 yards into the endzone, knotting the game at 14.

Despite the loss, Schartz was pleased with his defense on the night.

“The defense played lights out,” Schartz said. “We basically pitched a shutout. We were right on everything that they were doing, and played an excellent football game.”

The first score of the game came from Junction City, when senior Raye Wilson recovered a fumbled pitch in stride and took it 50 yards past the MHS defense. The Blue Jays led 7-0.

But Manhattan retaliated on the ensuing series. After junior Tariq Gerald returned the kickoff 54 yards to the JC 38-yard line, senior Jon Chen broke free for a 34-yard rush, evening the score at seven points apiece.

The teams then traded drives until the Indians got the ball at their own 30. In a methodical drive, converting on three third downs and one fourth down, Trapp connected with senior Adam Al-Soltani on a seven-yard touchdown pass. The Indians took a 14-7 lead with less than a minute in the first half.

Senior defensive lineman Grant Parker said the MHS defense adapted well to stifle the up-tempo offense of Junction City, which entered Friday averaging 49 points per contest.

“They’re going as quick as possible,” Parker said. “We were conditioned pretty well. We were prepared.”

Manhattan now turns its attention to district play, beginning on the road against Topeka High next Friday. Schartz said he’s confident in his team heading into the final three regular-season games of the year.

“We’ve got a tough road to home. We’ve got to go one week at a time,” Schartz said. “I think the kids are motivated. We’re going to turn the page, and we’re going to get ready for Topeka High.”

Parker concurred.

“[To move on from the loss, it’s going to take] hard work; lots of reps; film,” Parker said. “We’re going to come out firing.”

Schartz also hinted at the possibility of a rematch with the Blue Jays before the season is over.

“The kids are super excited about perhaps having the opportunity of playing Junction City again this year,” Schartz said. “Junction City is not in our district. I think they have a good chance of winning their district.”

Manhattan and Topeka High are slated to kick off next Friday at Hummer Sports Park in Topeka.