Cross country competes at Haskell, rests up for League

Greg Woods, Online Editor-in-Chief

With just days standing between the Manhattan High cross country team and the Centennial League meet on Saturday, head coach Susan Melgares knows the importance of rest. As a result, she chose to sit out her top seven runners on the boys and girls sides when the Indians competed in Haskell Invitational in Lawrence on Saturday.

“It allows you to gather yourself a little bit physically and mentally,” Melgares said. “And get ready for the big charge for the postseason.”

In order to qualify for Varsity medals and to score as a Varsity team, Melgares inserted five non-Varsity runners from both the girls and boys sides into Varsity slots.

Even with the team’s strongest runners out, the boys side took fourth overall, while the girls took fifth. Junior Brent Telck, who finished 26th overall, was pleased with the team’s performance.

“I thought it was probably one of the best meets we’ve had,” Telck said. “The course was easy and it just felt good.”

Melgares agreed, saying she was glad the runners could bring home medals.

“They competed well,” Melgares said. “The times were good, the kids competed, we got a lot kids that brought home medals, which are a special art piece from Haskell. It was a good day.”

Telck said the course wasn’t a challenge.

“It was really flat to start out, and then kind of downhill,” Telck said. “Throughout the whole race, you just cruise through it. It felt great.”

On the girls side, sophomore Jena Vars finished 35th overall. She said the course was easier than any course the team has run on this season.

“We’ve been to Warner and Rimrock, which are definitely a challenge,” Vars said. “It was pretty flat compared to any of the courses.”

The Centennial League meet is slated for Saturday at Topeka High. To succeed at League, Melgares said her team needs to keep it simple.

“We’ve just got to keep the momentum rolling,” Melgares said. “And compete hard.”