SADD students run Leadership Camp

Megan Klug, Blue M Sports Editor

Smart decision making, creating leaders and participating in activities are not the only things Students Against Destructive Decisions does. With Red Ribbon Week approaching and Camp Leadership behind them, the club continues their busying schedule.

At Camp Leadership, the students taught elementary and middle school kids essential leadership skills through a series of three activities. All nine local elementary schools were represented along with the two middle schools, Anthony and Eisenhower.

“One activity we had was where the kids had to write positive things on a ball,” senior and co-president of SADD Hannah Craig said. “It was meant to represent ‘the good times roll.’”

Along with hands-on learning, the students lead an activity that engaged the students to make decisions.

“We would have two options and the kids would walk to whichever side they agreed with,” senior and co-president Andrea Miller said. “They had to justify their decision and it encouraged healthy discussion.”

“It really taught the kids to see both sides and engage in healthy debate,” Craig said.

Although the day was full of fun and games, the main purpose of the camp was not forgotten.

“The schools contacted us and wanted our students to lead these activities for the younger elementary and middle school kids,” SADD sponsor Kari Quiton Humes said. “The whole point of Camp Leadership was to teach the kids leadership skills so, that’s what we were focused on.”

The leadership will transfer to the students in order to demonstrate the appropriate ways to stop destructive decisions during Red Ribbon week. For the week they have a different event each day.

From safety checks and chalk writing to pledges of smart decision making, the club is looking forward to the week’s effects.

“When we ask students to take the pledge it isn’t a pledge to not do drugs or something specific, it’s just a pledge to make good decisions,” Craig said.

SADD will be conducting these pledges throughout lunch on Wednesday for West campus and Thursday for East.

They will end the week at the middle schools and attending the Catholic school to do activities with them as well.