Club rowing continues season

Ale Flores, Staff Writer

Even though rowing is not part of the Manhattan High School sports, some students are enrolled in this club out of MHS. This season, the rowing team has had a lot of changes starting from having a new coaching staff to doubling the numbers of rowers.

There are two different types of rowing. One of them is the Mixed 8+ teams concern of eight different rowers of the same sex and the 4X team that consists of four rowers and a coxswain who is the person who steers the racing shell.

There is also a different kind of rowing called Men’s Single that requires a single man to scull by himself. Novices are the new girls added team and varsity girls have been a year in the team.

In their first regatta, the Mixed 8+ guys and girls team won third place and the 4x team won third place likewise.

During the season rowers do different kind of activities from March to November they race in water; from December to March they practice in rowing machines and for spring break they have the opportunity to go to a workshop at Baylor, Texas.

Last Sunday, the rowing team went to their last regatta. Students were really positive and had good expectations for their last tournament,

“I think is going to go really well, the boats are moving together good, and everyone is doing a good job,” junior Taylor McMorris said.

Sophomore Bailey Cameron is a novice in the rowing team and is really confident about their next regatta.

“I am really excited and looking forward to it,” Cameron said. “We could step up our game a little bit and pay more attention in class.”

The rowers have a great bond with each other and are happy to work together to obtain places in their Tournaments.

“It’s like a big family,” sophomore Kenzie Davis said. “ They are so accepting. They love you no matter what.”

At the last regatta they got third place in their novice Women 8+ and the co-captain of the rowing team won third place in his men’s single.