‘Noises Off’ garners laughs, good times

Ale Flores, Staff Writer

“Noises Off” was Manhattan High School’s winter play this year. The play was written by English playwright Michael Frayn and it is a comedy which portrays a play within a play. It tells the story of movie director “Lloyd Dallas” and his actors and staff who are working in a new play titled “Nothing On.”

The show was great. Every night had its own difficulties and perks,” senior Toula Sweeney said. “But I have to say that Friday night’s performance offered a bit of a challenge for me personally because I fell off the stage.”

Students just had a month the prepare for the play. The play requires a two story set, which is difficult to put up in a short amount of time.

“To build that two story set was probably the biggest thing and decorating the set,” Thespian sponsor Linda Uthoff said. “I thought that set crew for the most part got things turned around great.”

Actors had to memorize their scripts quickly and had to have countless hours of practice.

“We’ve been going over lines a lot and been practicing so much,” junior Adelaide Bliss said. “I think the hardest part is doing everything in a short amount of time. We just had less than a month to prepare, so we had to work pretty fast to get everything together.”

They had a big audience during all the shows. People laughed and enjoyed the show. Even though there were some glitches, by the last performance they did a magnificent job.

“I think it went really good. There was a couple mishaps, but it went pretty good. The audience seemed to like it a lot,” Bliss said. “I’ve enjoyed being in this show a lot. It was fun … just the energy throughout the cast and we all had a lot of fun just working together.”