Soccer kicks off season on the road

Erick Echegaray, Sports Editor

After a young team proved itself with fresh faces last season, the Manhattan High girls soccer team is back on the pitch ready to flourish this new season. The Lady Indians come into the season with more maturity as seven sophomores, many of whom played as freshmen last year, now make a the biggest chunk of the varsity roster, in between them last season’s leading-scorer Cailey Perkins who leads the group.

Among juniors, defenders Karmen Martinie and Molly Smith return to once again to become the solid duo in the backfield that protect Manhattan’s goal. As for goalkeepers, Junior Emmy Korenek now steps up as the number one keeper following the absence of now graduated Molly Fischer.

The young team would kickoff the season with two road games against Topeka High and Blue Valley West High. MHS pulled off the 3-1 win against Topeka High in their season debut but fell to Blue Valley West by a staggering score of 7-0.

“It just didn’t turn out like we had hoped,” Smith said. “We all knew that game on Saturday would be pretty hard,”

MHS now turns around to face Topeka West High, hoping to avenge their recent blowout loss at home.

“We have really good players and we’re working hard,” Senior midfielder Ashley Stuckwisch

The Lady Indians will finally debut at home tonight, when they face off against Topeka West at Bishop Stadium.