Students await Ivy League decisions

Gavin Larios, Staff Writer

After waiting patiently for months, Ivy League applicants from Manhattan High waited until March 31 or “Ivy Day” to see if they would be accepted into the schools they applied for. Once March 31 came, students had to wait until 4 p.m. CST to get decisions. Some students like senior Spencer Parish applied to Ivy League schools through the early decision and various early action programs offered at the colleges and were able to receive decisions from the schools sooner.

“I don’t know if I was that nervous,” Parish said. “Actually funny story, on December 15 I didn’t want to check my results so I gave my password to my friend and I told him to check for me but then not tell me the results, then at like 4:20 [p.m.] I decided to check my results and that was it. I was alone in my house and I like totally flipped out when the acceptance video started playing.”

Some students applied and didn’t make it but still had a positive outlook on the decision that the Ivy League schools made. While a lot of students didn’t get accepted into Ivy League schools, many of them got accepted into high-ranked schools within the nation. Senior Christine Martin applied at Brown University and University of Pennsylvania, but did not get accepted. Instead, she will attend Northeastern University in Boston, Mass.

“I knew it was a long shot to begin with because both of those colleges are extremely competitive and difficult to get into,” Martin said. “Everything was kind of out of my hands so I tried to forget about it and relax for awhile and then on [Ivy] day, I had already gotten accepted into my first-choice college anyway, but I just wanted to check and make sure of course.”

Senior Madeline Marshall got accepted into the University of Pennsylvania and got put on the waiting list at Harvard but ended up deciding to go to The Ohio State University on a full-ride scholarship.

“I think that the process of Ivy Day, the fact that all of those schools release their decisions at the same time leads to kind of a weird vibe amongst students at that time [and] during that time it’s a very stressful period,” Marshall said. “I just want everyone to know that you don’t have to get into an Ivy League school to be a good person, so you could be a great student/individual and a lot of regards and not get into those schools even if you are capable.”