Hoyt proposes modified block schedule

Angie Moss, Trending Editor

Last week there was some controversy after word got out that principal Greg Hoyt is proposing a modified block schedule for the 2016-2017 academic school year to the Board of Education.

The schedule would change from being seven 51 minute class periods and one 40 minute lunch period to being that one Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays, but will change on Wednesdays and Thursdays to being four 95 minute class periods, a 35 minute lunch period and an advisory session.

There are three scheduling options, one being what Manhattan High has now, the other being a full block schedule and then finally a modified block schedule, which is what Hoyt saw as the best option and is proposing to the Board.

“A full block schedule didn’t have a lot of faculty support,” Hoyt said. “I think there are some good things to come with a full block schedule but that really requires a lot of professional development for our teachers to learn how to instruct full time.”

The advisory that Hoyt wants to implement next year is meant to be a work time for students. Each student would be assigned to an advisor, which would be a faculty member, and will work one-on-one with that advisor throughout their time at MHS. This is meant to combat that difficulty that counselors face due to the large ratio. Instead of it being one to 400 students, it would be one to approximately 15 students to allow a more personal educational experience. The time would be used to address bullying at school, resume building, career skills and college preparation.

“It could be beneficial for all classes,” counseling department chair Anthony Wichmann said. “The state of Kansas is actually going through a model called the Independent Plan of Study, so we’re divising a map of what you need to be doing in high school. It also ties in with a lot of what we have on Naviance. Part of that time could really be spent putting together your resume.”

Not only was there controversy surrounding the schedule change proposal for next school year, but there were also rumors going around on social media that MHS may be doing away with early release for seniors second semester. Hoyt shot that rumor down.

“We haven’t had any discussions about doing away with [early release] at all and we’re not going to propose any kind of those situations,” Hoyt said. “I know we do have to put some constraints on that to make it work.”

Those constraints include limiting the combinations of which hours seniors can take off. As of right now, the options are: first and second hour, first and seventh hour or sixth and seventh hour. The only option that could possibly be taken out of the equation is first and second hour due to the scheduling of when the advisory session would be.