He was a skater boy

Ale Flores, Staff Writer

Once upon a time freshman Kristoffer Clayton, wasn’t interested in anything else, but baseball. But two years ago, he found a new passion: skateboarding.

Kristoffer moved to Manhattan Last semester in october, from Tampa, Florida where his passion for skateboarding started, but that didn’t stop him from doing what he loves.

“One day I went to my friend’s house and I saw him skateboarding, and it just like naturally came” Clayton said. “I started getting really into it, and quit baseball. I liked baseball but then it got boring, skateboarding is fun and it keeps me out of trouble”

As such a young age he decided he wanted skateboarding on his future, so he started participating in many contests, he won a few, and ranked at the top ten for many others, Kristoffer is now a sponsored skateboarder.

“I wanna go pro.” Clayton said  “I would like going around the world. I see my future pretty big, I see myself in video games that be cool, I’m not gonna lie I’m pretty good. Skateboarding is like a daily thing I do I love it, and I’ve got no time for nothing else.”

Before participating in any contest, Kristoffer practices the simple moves, not anything in which he can get hurt, and then improvises most of his tricks in the contest.

“I try landing in all my tricks and being consistent,” Kristoffer said. “When I am at the contest ready to skate, I’m on my headphones and eat a lot of bananas before.”

After moving to Manhattan Kristoffer, found a group of new friends, that love skateboarding too, and encourage Clayton to keep doing it.They travel around Kansas, looking for good places to skate and have fun.

“We go to Topeka, Kansas City and Wichita sometimes,” senior Shamari Mitchell said. “We have a little squad and sometimes we just travel and get it out, he’s the only one of us that’s sponsored, we just like to skate, he’s doing big things.”

Kristoffer will go back to FL this summer, to keep working on his future as a skateboarder.

“It kind of sucks,” Mitchell said, “ because even though he’s not local here , I’ve gotten used to him being here. He’s going on to big things on skateboarding and I support him.”

Freshman Kristoffer Clayton skates down a railing.
Courtesy image