Calm down, it’s only five minutes

Angie Moss, Trending Editor

Life lesson number one: gauge exactly how important it is to freak out about a change BEFORE you freak out about it.

The schedule is changing to a modified block next year and there is nothing you can do about it. It was voted for unanimously by the Board of Education and the decision can’t be reversed. A lot of you are freaking out about the schedule change and I totally get it. Every fiber of my being has been against any form of block scheduling since I heard it was a thing. This schedule change was the last thing I wanted to have happen. But then I thought it through.

As a journalist, it’s my job to seek out every single detail about every single thing I report about. It’s my passion to tell you guys about the happenings of Manhattan High. I wrote the article that you guys read a couple weeks ago that let you know about the modified block proposal, and I’ve heard nothing but complaints since. There are still rumors going around that lunch will be closed or early release won’t exist anymore, but I was and am still here to dispel those rumors so that you guys can calm down. What I have been telling you has come straight from Hoyt himself and I even attended the board meeting, which sucked my soul out of me, so that I could tell you what is happening.

Now, here’s another reason you need to calm down: lunch is, in fact, being shortened by five minutes next year. But you know what? It’s ONLY five minutes. The original proposal suggested a 10-minute cut to our lunch. Lunch isn’t being closed next year, so all you upperclassmen (and daring sophomores) can still go wherever your heart desires for your midday meal. However, you need to plan your time a little better. Drive-thrus exist. Use them. Open lunch is a privilege, not a right. And one more time, IT IS ONLY FIVE MINUTES. Please, please, PLEASE don’t cause this much controversy over five minutes that you probably won’t even notice.

Life lesson number two: understand that you are not the only one impacted by any decision this big, ever.

We’re only in high school for four years and I don’t know about you guys, but I’d rather spend those four years studying for tests and doing activities that I enjoy rather than complaining about something that not only can I not change, but also doesn’t really impact me that much. In reality, you’re only going to notice the change for about three weeks and then it’ll be normal to you. These years are the only years that you can explore your interests without having to paying thousands of dollars. Take advantage of it.

Life lesson number three: open your eyes to the positive aspects of any changes that may occur.

Not everything is going to satisfy you, especially if it involves large numbers of people. However, seeing the positive aspects of these changes will satisfy you. Those two days a week that our class times are doubled allow more time for tests to be taken so we aren’t rushed, they make labs in chemistry much more manageable, it will be significantly easier to finish projects in art classes, you have more time to get help in your AP classes and the bond that you have with your teachers or other classmates will flourish.

I get it, not everything can be seen through rose-colored glasses and happiness is not forever, but what you do with the things you face or the decisions you aren’t really fond of will teach you more about life than you ever thought possible.

So, for those of you who are graduating, I wish you the best in whatever journey college takes you on. For those of you that are stuck here for another year or two, please just ride this out and see it for more than it is. See it as an opportunity, because that’s exactly what it is.