Thespians put on Shakefest in honor of heralded playwright

Ale Flores, Staff Writer

To celebrate 400 years since Shakespeare’s death, Manhattan High’s Thespian troupe organized a Shakefest last Thursday, an event in which students were able to participate in workshops and a monologue/duet scene competition, judged by K-state teachers.

“I loved it,” senior Savannah Smith said. “ I dressed up and everything, the monologues and duets were just spectacular and the judges had really good insight to continue with our progress as actors.”

The workshops were given by K-state teachers. One of the workshops consisted of learning Shakespearean insults and in the other students learned a renaissance dance.

During 6th hour, students were able to see the first act of our spring play, “The Tempest,” written by Shakespeare himself.

Emma Galitzer, president of Thespians and stage manager for the play, was happy with the outcome of the preview.

“It was really stunning,” Galitzer said. “The cast did a pretty good job and I am really proud of everyone. I think we’ve come a pretty long way since the first time we came in for rehearsals.”

That same night was the premiere of the complete play. Actors and technicians worked hard to get the show to be amazing.

“The last week is extremely stressful,” freshman Jacob Wineland said. “Dress rehearsals, doing your hair and makeup, finalizing everything, learning our cues. But now everything is running smoothly.”

The special effects that the play required had never been used for a MHS show before, but technicians managed to make the play look as realistic as possible.

“Having special effects really gives something that we can’t provide for ourselves with the equipment that we have,” Galitzer said.” It was the first time we had to do something like this and I think it turned out really well.”

At the end of the day, everyone was exhausted but happy to have been part of the play. Actors loved their characters and were pleased with their performances.

“We did really great,” senior Olivia Groninger said. “Makeup was all really fun, the costumes were all really cool [and] the lighting looked amazing. It was a great show.”