Varsity Choir faces busy week of performances

Savannah Cherms, Entertainment Editor

• Senior, Katheryne Hager; Juniors Dustin Wichman and Kaylee Fritchen; Senior Aidan Rosenow sing for the Showcase Concert on Thursday Night.

As the end of the year draws closer and closer with each day, the choirs are finishing out their year with one of their tours of schools around Manhattan. The past week has been filled with back-to-back concerts and travel back and forth across the town, and students missing class to sing. Each performance of this tour consists of five or six songs that the group has prepared throughout the year.

“We’re really prepared on all of our songs,” sophomore Sam Clark said. “[Chad] Pape knows how to get things done. He asks us if we’re okay with the songs and we go out a perform.

“Catching up with classes has taken some work,” sophomore Wyatt Balman said. “I have to go talk to my teachers before I leave the school. It’s a drawback but it’s also a lot of fun singing.”

This sentiment has been shared with other members of the choir as well.

“It’s been pretty tiring but I think the group has handled things well,” junior Dustin Wichman said. “It’s been tough keeping up with classes but because our performances during choir classes we don’t miss core classes.”

With their busy schedule, many students would crack under the pressure of leaving class every day for a week, but choir members seem to have no problem.

“I’m handling it pretty well,” Clark said. “Most of our performances are during Chamber or I get a pass if we run late; it’s mostly a lot of fun.”

“The only really rough day was when we had to finish one performance and then get everything set up for another one at a different school in like 20 minutes,” Wichman said.

Despite the tiring routines and non-stop performing, choir members still are excited for each performance.

“It’s a lot of fun seeing the smiles on the kids’ faces and hearing their genuine laughter,” Balman said.

“The best part has been just getting to go out to all the schools and see how excited the kids are to hear us sing,” Wichman said.