The lows of getting high

Angie Moss, Trending Editor

Since 2011, there has been a 2.6-percent increase in instances of Manhattan High students using marijuana within the previous 30 days, according to Kansas Communities That Care surveys that 10th and 12th graders take every year.

Despite the outpouring of research that has been done on marijuana effects on teenagers and their brains, an anonymous MHS junior is among the increasing number of students who still continue to get high.

“[I use marijuana] to release stress and just to escape everyday reality,” the junior said. “It also helps me think about things logically and just do things the right way with a clear mind.”

Despite the popularity of marijuana, teenagers tend to overlook the effects that marijuana has on the brain and other parts of the body.

Lungs:

According to Healthline, marijuana is similar to tobacco in how it impacts users’ lungs and respiratory system. If users smoke regularly, they are more likely to cough, wheeze and produce phlegm. The risk for bronchitis and lung infections are also increased. The smoke that is released into the lungs contains carcinogens, but more research still needs to be done to determine whether or not there is a direct link to lung cancer.

Circulatory System:

Within minutes of inhaling or ingesting marijuana, the user’s heart rate can increase 20 to 50 beats per minute. This can last up to three hours and increases the risk of a heart attack, especially for those with pre-existing heart complications. The bloodshot eyes that users get when high is due to the expansion or dilation of the blood vessels in the eyes.

Central Nervous System:

After Tetrahydrocannabinol enters your bloodstream, it’s quickly transported to your brain and other organs. After it reaches your brain, a plethora of dopamines are released, which is what gives users the euphoric high. It also heightens your perception of time and senses. However, once it reached the hippocampus, the center of emotion, memory and the autonomic nervous system, judgement becomes impaired and the ability to create memories becomes difficult. Balance, coordination and reflexes also become impaired, which means it’s not safe to drive or play any sports that may require coordination skills.

Though marijuana is not typically known for hallucinations and delusions, it is still possible with large doses. According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, marijuana use has been linked to depression and anxiety. Some users that suffer from schizophrenia may experience worsened symptoms. More research is still needed to confirm these links.

Only about 9-percent of marijuana users get addicted to the drug. However, teenagers are exponentially more prone to addiction due to the underdeveloped brain and central nervous system.

Digestive System:

Smoking marijuana can cause stinging or burning in the mouth or throat. Ingested marijuana is processed in the liver. Using marijuana can increase the appetite, which is often referred to as the “munchies.”

Immune System:

There is still a lot more research that needs to be done in this area. However, research that has been done on animals indicated that using marijuana may weaken the immune system, making users more susceptible to illness.

Medical Uses:

Yes, marijuana can be used to treat several illnesses such as glaucoma, Alzheimer’s, cancer and seizures. However, according to the Leaf Science website, the marijuana that is used for medicinal purposes typically contains very low amounts of THC and rich amounts of cannabidiol. This makes medical marijuana different from recreational marijuana in several ways, one being it’s not psychoactive. Medical marijuana users don’t usually get high from it.

According to the 2014 Kansas Communities That Care student survey, 35 percent of students reported that it’s “very easy” to get marijuana. Sixty five percent reported that if a kid smoked marijuana in their neighborhood, he or she would not be caught by the police.

“As perception of harm of marijuana decreases in our country, state and school use amongst young people increases,” MHS drug and alcohol prevention coordinator Kari Humes said. “The lack of perception that marijuana is harmful is an issue at Manhattan High School.”

Though MHS students are aware of some of the medical complications that come with smoking marijuana, they are not fazed.

“I mean if [teens] get addicted to [marijuana], then that’s on them,” the aforementioned anonymous junior said. “I can go without smoking it for months. The only time I really smoke is when I’m really stressed out about things.”

The use of marijuana by MHS students continues to increase and there are many factors that impact the stigma surrounding marijuana.

“Some of this perception is due to the legalization of recreational marijuana in other states,” Humes said. “This sends our students a confusing message. Marijuana is dangerous to the young developing brain.”

Although more research still needs to be done on marijuana, there is plenty of scientific evidence supporting the harm that comes with smoking or ingesting marijuana. It is dangerous and teenagers are more likely to be harmed than adults with fully developed brains and central nervous systems.