Seniors prepare for final activity

Jordan Lutz, Staff Writer

After graduation, many seniors must think that the act of getting their diploma is the last school activity they will ever get to do. Well, that would be incorrect.

From 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Sunday, May 24 is a seniors-only event called Project Graduation.

“It’s for the high school graduating seniors only,” Kari Humes, Project Graduation’s coordinator, said. “It’s at the K-State [The Chester E. Peters] Recreation Complex on graduation night. Students will have access to pretty much everything in the recreation complex.”

The event is completely free and features prizes throughout the night.

“Everyone will get a T-shirt and all the graduating seniors’ names will be on the back of the T-shirt,” Humes said. “There’s tons of prizes. If you stay [un]til the end, we give away a $500 cash prize.”

Seniors do not need their student ID for this event, but they will need identification to check out equipment. To climb the rock wall, a waiver will need to be signed.

“If [students] are under 18, they have to have a waiver signed by a parent,” Humes said. “I have emailed that waiver out to parents. I will send it out again to make sure they[parents] get it.”

For many years the Rec has been the location of Project Graduation. The venue has changed in recent years and now offers more to patrons.

“They have a new game room,” Humes said. “I think they have a TV and movies or something on. Their facility has gotten better so our event has changed since their facility has improved.”

This event serves as the last hoorah for the graduating class of the year.

“They can hang out that evening,” Humes said, “kind of for one last time before everybody goes on to do what they are going to do for the summer.”