2017 National Merit Semifinalists selected

Mira Bhandari, Staff Writer

After taking the PSAT last year, four Manhattan High School students have been chosen as National Merit Semifinalists, students for the class of 2017. As high school winds down to a close for seniors Owen Li, Eric Higgins, Saubhagya Shrestha and Josh Haus, the scholars qualify to apply for recognition as National Merit Finalists, and receive the opportunity for various post-secondary educational scholarships.

“There are a ton of scholarships available for National Merit Finalists and even Semifinalists,” Shrestha said. “Some universities even provide full tuition. Being a National Merit Semifinalist or finalist also helps set you apart other students when applying to top universities.”

National Merit Scholarships contribute $2,500 to the finalist’s tuition for their freshman year of college. Corporate and college sponsored merit scholarships cover costs from $500 to $10,000 per year for the majority of four-year institutions.

The scholarship application process consists of many requirements. Students interested in National Merit Scholarships must first take the PSAT test during their junior year and, in Kansas, achieve at least a 217 for their applications to be considered. The results of the exams are determined at the end of the year, but they find out if they were chosen as Semifinalists the year after. The students selected as Semifinalists based on their scores are then required to fill out the finalist application which includes honors received, extra-curricular activities, etc.  

“When you become a National Merit Semifinalist there is about a 90 percent chance of becoming a Finalist.” Haus said. “This doesn’t mean you just sit around and do nothing, however. You have to get a recommendation letter from a teacher and also write an essay.”

The title of National Merit Finalist or Semifinalist is a highly prestigious one. Private institutions such as Northwestern University accepted over 200 scholars and provided financial aid for nearly 75 percent in 2015. Harvard University, one of the highest ranked schools in America, also boasted 209 scholars in attendance last year.

“It felt great.” Shrestha said. “It’s a selective process, so I was excited and honored to hear that I was a Semifinalist.”

As of now, the MHS Semifinalists for this year will begin the process of applying for National Merit Finalist positions.