Global News

Mira Bhandari, Copy Editor

Explosion in Spain injures 90

In the midst of a local festival on Saturday night, an explosion occurred at a cafe in southern Spain. Authorities suspect a gas leak caused the blast where nearly 90 people were injured, five of them fatally. The cafe, La Bohemia, was left with seriously damaged walls, windows and

furniture.

www.foxnews.com/world/2016/10/02/gas-explosion-injures-at-least-77-at-spain-restaurant.html

Rosetta makes final landing

In 2004, the Rosetta space probe took off on a mission to follow a comet while it orbited the sun. After making numerous groundbreaking discoveries about the comet, the probe has fallen out of orbit and crash landed on its surface over a decade after it began its journey.

www.cbc.ca/news/technology/rosetta-spacecraft-comet-legacy-1.3785869

Hurricane Matthew ignites worry

Concern has arisen due to the 145 mph hurricane drifting towards Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica. Haiti is expected to be the most severely impacted by the storm, and officials are encouraging residents of the natural disaster prone country to take precautions.

www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/hurricane-matthew-could-deliver-devastating-blow-caribbean-n658311

Boy, 6, killed in S.C. school shooting

Jacob Hall, a six-year-old student at Townville Elementary in South Carolina was killed from blood loss due to a bullet shot in his leg by a 14-year-old boy who opened fire in the school’s playground. The shooter has been charged with murder and attempted murder on three counts.

www.cnn.com/2016/10/01/us/south-carolina-elementary-school-shooting-victim/index.html