Jury duty provides service hours and exposure

Mira Bhandari, Copy Editor

A significant part of a high school student’s responsibilities is gaining service hours, and a unique way of doing so is shadowing jury duty in court. By sitting in on various trials, students not only receive volunteer hours but also gain exposure to the system of a courtroom and a jury. This prepares them for future years, when their official involvement in the jury is a responsibility for citizens of nearly every county in the nation.

The opportunity for any Manhattan High School student to take part in a year-round shadowing program was presented to them on Club Day this year as an out-of-school volunteer project possibility.

“I would go to court and listen to trials and the testaments, then come up with a punishment,” Tanya Singh, freshman, said.

Those who attended were to pay close attention to a trial in court. They would then be taken into a separate room and asked their opinion on the trial, the accused and what consequences, if any, they should face. For every trial, students also receive three service hours, which contribute towards the required 100 hours for any distinguished service program participants.

However, observing court cases are not limited to volunteers.

“Anybody can come in and watch any court case here,” Riley County courthouse jury coordinator Pam Clark said. “Actually, here at the district court, there are signs on each of the courtroom doors that say either open or closed hearing, if they say open hearing then students and anybody can go in and observe.”

The trials also served as a valuable learning experience with many rules and responsibilities. Any information specific to the trial was to be kept strictly confidential and all participation in the program must be handled with respect and decorum. Following these regulations is crucial to everyone in a courtroom.

“I had to keep everything a secret from the trial and I learned that actions have consequences,” Singh said.

The program greatly emphasizes the vast importance of a jury system and the involvement of young members of a community in it.

“I think that it’s important for the students to come in and observe,” Clark said. “It’s not what you see on television here, it is a lot different than that but it’s very interesting because I don’t think a lot of people understand the legal process.”