Manhattan Marlins welcome new head coach

Mira Bhandari, Copy Editor

The Manhattan Marlins Swim Team welcomed Clyde Smith as head coach early this month. Smith is now leading the Marlins with the determination to help everyone on his team grow as swimmers.

Swimming has been a part of Smith’s life since the age of eight and competitive swimming was introduced to him shortly afterwards.

“Swimming is important on so many levels,” Smith said, “above everything else, it is a life skill.  Everywhere you go there will be a body of water. Self preservation is an important part of life and knowing how to swim insures that when individuals are safe around water.”   

It has kept its status as a large part of who he is, as he began his coaching career directly after college, where he was also a competitive swimmer on the Kenyon College Lords Swim Team.

Smith’s coaching history has consisted of many notable achievements. During his 18-year career, he has coached numerous top-ranking teams and athletes in the midwest. He has also started teaching the members of the Marlins many new tips and techniques already.

“He taught me how to keep my goggles from falling off [and] getting water in when I dive,” freshman swimmer Angie Miller said.

Smith is excited to bring new coaching styles and strategies to the team as well as develop the old ones. During a stage of adjustment, Smith and his team are working hard and assiduously as a unit during their practices and meets.

“Growth in a new program can be a difficult task for a new coach,” Smith said. “My foremost ideas and goals are more centered around retention this year. Trust in the ideas and concepts that I am trying to introduce to the swimmers are atypical to a majority of swim clubs across the country.”

Smith has observed great potential amongst the members of his new team and believes that they have the capability to do extraordinary things.

“I love coaching with the Marlins,” he said. “As a coach, you love a group of athletes that are truly coachable. Athletes that have a true desire to improve everyday. They have already shown a level of commitment to a new style of coaching that usually takes years of trust to develop.  They are a truly amazing group of swimmers. One of the truly crazy things I have learned in my 18 years of coaching is that you never put limits on what your swimmers can achieve.  Individuals as a whole, live up to expectations placed on them so I am really self aware of not placing a ceiling on what any individuals I work with can accomplish.”