Big Blue Band fundraises for Disney World trip

Mira Bhandari, Copy Editor

A surefire way to put a smile on the face of a Big Blue Band member is to ask about the plans for their trip to Florida and Disney World in 2017. However, a trip like this isn’t just about packing their bags and hopping on a plane, it also involves three years worth of teamwork in planning and fundraising.

The trip to Florida will involve a performance from the band as well as spending time at Disney World together.

“We’re going to be marching in a parade,” freshman flutist Mizuki Asano said. “There will be other high schools going.”

This year, the band has been fundraising diligently and has started to wrap up their second fundraiser. Band members kicked off their efforts at the start of the year by selling fun-shaped pasta. For this fundraiser they sold a variety of tumbler cups and gourmet nuts. As the year goes on, they have also planned for two more fundraisers including a raffle and a cookie dough sale during the spring semester.

The people who can purchase these items and support the band are not only restricted to Manhattan High School students and teachers.

“We can sell to anyone in the United States actually,” freshman clarinet player Jayna Schwartz said, “either over the phone, in person, or from the online store feature.”

The majority of the profits raised will be kept in individual accounts that can be used to pay for the Disney trip, but a portion of the funds also supports general band expenses.

The members of the band take individual initiative to raise money by encouraging their friends and family to support their efforts. The band room is a second home and a special place for these musicians.

“I love being in the band because it’s a family,” freshman trombone player Morgan Day said. “My strongest friendships and best memories are all from band. I love getting to perform together and grow as musicians, and know that I’m part of something bigger than myself. And the Disney trip is another opportunity for us to perform and gain experience on a different scale than what we usually perform at.”