Opening Night of ‘The Drowsy Chaperone’ a success

Savannah Cherms, Trending Editor

Opening night jitters. Every performer has had their share of them. The weeks of practicing lines, endless dance practices and the layers of makeup caked onto your face all become worth it on this night.

The very first performance of the fall musical “The Drowsy Chaperone” was one to remember. With Rezac Auditorium filled with eager family members and friends, the bar was set high for this performance.

“The crowd was so much larger and so much more responsive than it has been in the past,” senior Grant Williams, who played Robert Martin, said. “It was a fantastic crowd. We want it to get bigger, we want it to sell out.”

With such a responsive crowd, the rush of opening night was almost heightened for some performers. With such a high energy show, cast members had the chance to really have fun with this performance and bond as a cast.

“This cast this year is amazing,” junior Anna Washburn, who played opposite of Williams as Janet Van De Graaf, said. “Everyone loves this show and each other, it was so much fun.”

Washburns sentiment was shared emphatically with her castmates.

“Getting to work with this cast has been so rewarding,” senior Isaac Sorell said. He played the unnamed narrator of the show. “Everyone is so supportive of each other, everyone loves each other, everyone is so funny. It’s been such a great experience working with everyone.”

Despite the stress and excitement of the first show, opening night can be just as bittersweet. For many performers, including Sorrell, this will be their last musical production at Manhattan High, including Sorell.

“I’ve been doing the musical since my freshman year so this is a little sad,” Sorell said. “But it’s a great send off and it’s so gratifying, getting to play the lead.”

Despite the sadness felt by the seniors of this cast, Washburn believes the future is bright for MHS theater.

“We have a really strong group [of underclassmen] that [are] coming up,” Washburn said. “I’m really excited for next year and years to come.”

While opening night was an overall success, the show was not without a few mishaps here and there. Two unscripted falls took place, one during a tap dance routine and the other on roller skates.

“The most nerve-wracking part was when things would happen that weren’t supposed to happen,” Williams said. “When Sam [Clark] fell, and then me falling in the next scene.”

Despite the small flaws in the performance, cast members left the stage with wide grins on their makeup-covered faces.

“The most rewarding part is definitely the final bow,” Washburn said. “I love everyone in this cast so that part just makes my heart so full. I loved sharing that experience.”