Solidarity between women important

Savannah Cherms, Trending Editor

If you are a woman in today’s society, you are aware of the social pressures you face every day. Pressure to look pretty, but not slutty. Smart, but not too smart. In charge of yourself but not bossy.

We have been molded from day one to always be aware of how we are being perceived by others, especially males. But I have become increasingly aware that it is not just men that we are trying to prove ourselves to. It’s each other. Every day I hear girls tearing down other girls, saying that “Her butt is too big,” “She needs to stop sleeping around,” “She’s stupid;” the list goes on. And quite frankly, I’m sick of it.

In a world where a political candidate calls women pigs, slobs, animals and gold diggers, we have enough negativity to worry about from men. So why are we wasting our breath tearing down each other? In a world where we already have to compete with our male counterparts in every field imaginable, why are we competing against each other? Magazines are pitting women against each other (see Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston,) rating women on how “beautiful” or not they are.

gorls

This is the culture we are raising our children in. A culture where women and girls are seen as objects intended only for male consumption. This same culture is breeding girls who feel they have to look like Kim Kardashian at age 12, girls who feel like in order to be recognized they have to be the best, they have to be the “queen bee.”

And that’s the problem. This “Queen Bee” syndrome is tearing women and girls apart. Media likes to portray “Queen Bee Syndrome” as a funny gag for teen high school movies, where the mean girl runs the school.

When we compete with each other, when we call each other terrible names and talk down about each other, it is only making it okay for men to do the same. Until we can come together and truly see each other as equals, no one else will see us as such. Until we can respect each other, no man will respect us as individuals.

Now is the time for women to stand together. Now is the time to remind yourselves and other women that you are more than a pretty face, more than the number of people you sleep with and more than the clothes you wear.

As females, we are made to believe that if one woman is pretty, then you are not. One woman’s beauty does not diminish your own, so there is no need to try to rip away at another girl’s self esteem to bring yours back up.

Don’t let the toxicity of our society make you turn against each other. Work together; strive to be better together. Because when you stand in solidarity with other women, nothing can stop you. Like Beyonce said, “Who run the world? Girls.”