MHS hosts FCCLA’s Fall Leadership Conference for the first time in fifteen years

Anna Hupp, Content Editor

In the dark in Rezac Auditorium sat 240 students, completely silent. On stage stood Julie Connor, blond, petite and intense. Her voice boomed outwards, followed by the light sound of turning paper as some of the students wrote her words down.  

Manhattan High’s Family, Career and Community Leaders of America chapter hosted the club’s Fall Leadership Conference on Wednesday. It lasted from 9:05 a.m. to 2:15  p.m. in Rezac Auditorium, B110 and the Little Theater. About 240 members from 16 schools in Kansas were in attendance, which was a significantly larger number than other FCCLA conferences because it was open to all members, not just officers.

The event functioned as a way for students to get to know each other and an introduction to the events and mission of the club, which is to serve the community through leadership.

“The conferences are important for our students to gain those leadership skills that are necessary in their career in the future,” club sponsor Heidi Rippert said. “If you can lead in the future or learn how to set goals, learn how to be a better career and family member, you’ll be successful later in life.”

MHS hosted the conference for the first time since 2001 based on a rotation with other Kansas chapters. Surprisingly, opening MHS’ doors to so many students while still operating  a normal school day was not a big hassle for the club or school because the responsibility of organizing the event also works on rotation. Another chapter officer and several elected students took charge.

There were, however, still a few mix-ups. One group switched rooms last-minute because there were so many members, and Connor’s talk went shorter than planned.

“The officers didn’t plan enough for morning,” Rippert said, “so …. that actually timed out perfect with the workshop and closing.”

Afterward a brief opening ceremony, Connor talked to the whole group. Connor is a professional speaker who has also been a college professor and middle-school science teacher. She spoke about setting specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timely goals. Once you have a SMART goal, Connor said, pursue it fearlessly.

“She made me feel like I could really just go out and conquer anything,” MHS chapter vice president Whitley Coke, junior, said.

Club members next went to their workshops. There were four in total: one held by Connor and three held by successful FCCLA members who had won state or national recognition for their Students Taking Action with Recognition Events. They spoke on varying subjects, from eating well and working out to being aware of dating violence, and they included games like Simon Says in their presentations.  Each club member attended two of their own choosing.

Finally, everyone reentered Rezac to recap what they learned during the day.

“It [the conference] brought everyone closer together,” sophomore Brandon Pierce said.