Tribe connects MHS through school spirit

Angie Moss, Print Editor in Chief

There are many things that happen behind the scenes in a high school: lessons plans from teachers, maintanence from custodians and school spirit being spread by the school spirit club Tribe.

Tribe officers are responsible for picking themes for all games, organizing both homecoming weeks each year, creating posters to tell students when events are and boosting morale throughout the school. Anyone in the school can be a member of Tribe, but only seniors are able to be officers.

“Tribe is a school spirit club and we want to be able to get everyone involved in cheering on our sports teams and joining clubs and other activities going on at the school,” senior Liz Wilson said. “Those are the basic traits of a Tribe officer. All of us bring so much more to the table individually, but those are the basis of Tribe.”

Although Tribe is known throughout the school, there are some events that it organizes that the general student body may not know about.

“I feel Tribe is a pretty well-known club,” senior Melisa Cross said. “This year we did throw the first formal Homecoming. We also planned and put together the whole pep rally, so that’s really awesome. I feel most students don’t know that we did both of those major things.”

Being a Tribe officer also comes with the opportunity to further develop vital skills that may not have been as important before, such as communication.

“People who don’t typically put themselves in the situation to pull off an event as big as homecoming don’t realize how vital our communication skills become,” senior Grace Gallagher said. “We had to really come together and work as a group to find certain strengths that would most benefit the student body through the event. It’s not just ordering some decorations and calling it good.”

While it does come with a lot of responsibility, Tribe provides many different areas to prosper in and develop a sense of inclusivity for MHS.

“Being a Tribe officer, to me, means that I can help other people get more involved. Whether it’s in a club, sport or dance, and to get more people to show more school spirit. I am very capable of doing that in my position as Student Section, which I share with [seniors] Lauren Davis and Grace Gallagher,” Wilson said. “We get to help with the student section chants and pick themes for the games. And when we pick themes, we try to do something fun and easy that a lot of people can do, and we try to get everyone involved in the chants.”