Other schools around nation face same controversy

Angie Moss, Print Editor in Chief

Manhattan High isn’t the only school going through controversy surrounding an Indian mascot.

Schools all over the nation are going through the same process of having to debate and decide whether an Indian, or any other variation of the word, should be used as a mascot.

For one school district in Texas, the answer was no. Houston Independent School District made the decision in 2014 to get rid of all culturally-offensive mascots throughout the district, causing four schools to have to change.

“While traditions are important, they do not trump kindness and respect,” Chief School Support Officer Drew Houlihan said in a press release after the decision was made. “We owe that both to the students at these schools and to the community at large…HISD must retire, respectfully, school symbols that no longer reflect the values of who we are proudly diverse, inclusive, forward-thinking and committed to instilling character and social awareness in our youngsters.

One high school in Strasburg, Colorado, was faced with the controversy as well but decided to stick with their Indian mascot.

“Our school has always been respectful and I’m not sure where this controversy is coming from, so [a graduating senior from last year] took it upon herself to start that initiative to go and figure out why, exactly, we’re called the Strasburg Indians,” senior Bryce Hopwood from Strasburg High School said. “From there, she kind of started to get in touch with The University of Denver…and that’s kind of how it started, and then I got brought in to continue on with everything. From there, we started to really research what tribes are in our area.”

Strasburg High then brought in Native Americans from a nearby Arapahoe tribe and let them determine whether their heritage was being represented appropriately. After several conversations with the tribe, a partnership was declared and Strasburg got to keep their mascot.

“I hope that what we’ve been doing can be taken and put into other schools because we understand the difficulty and the oppression and everything that’s been going on,” Hopwood said, “but we want to make sure our mascot is depicted correctly and respectively and we also want to represent them not only as a civilization, but also as people and we want them to be proud to have us represent them.”