Future going neglected for the ‘golden years’

Taylor Bullock, Staff Writer

When I was younger I always thought high school would be like a ‘90s movie. Something along the lines of “Clueless” and “10 Things I Hate About You.”

Now that I’m a senior, I see that it’s become more like “The Matrix” with the way I’m dodging responsibilities. I’m definitely not the first and certainly won’t be the last to feel this overwhelmed. It’s all in how we handle it though. The kids are the future and there’s only so much dodging we can do for the time being.

High school students typically range from ages 13 to 18 years old. Those are the ages when curiosity sets in and experimenting begins. Kids are still figuring themselves out and trying new things, all in which is understandable.

But high school is often looked at as the “golden years” of our adolescence. The years of living young, wild and free. Some celebrate those years with friends and cheering at all the school sports events. Others celebrate with partying, drinking and drugs. It could be because they want to have fun, they cave to peer pressure, or they even use it as a coping mechanism.

As alone as some may feel in high school or at any age, they’re not. There are so many resources that go unknown for teens such as a non-profit organization known as “To Write Love On Her Arms.” TWLOHA helps those struggling with depression, addiction, self-harming and suicide. There is always something for someone in need out there.

No one’s life is perfect, not even the person you look up to most. Everyone has bumps in the road one way or another.

Parents are a big factor in our lives too. We tend to be what we see, but that is not always the case. Kids should strive to be so much more than anyone before them. When we were younger we dreamed of growing up to be ballerinas and firefighters, and those dreams didn’t just vanish overnight. Being anything you want is still the goal you should hold on to. If you wanted to be a princess, then go marry Prince Harry. I’m a firm believer that even the unthinkable is possible.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: the kids are the future. Every day that we wake, we are contributing something to this world. Good or bad, big or small, we are making a difference. We work, play, learn, laugh and love. Never throw away your goals and dreams for your golden years. Let your golden years be the most positive and life-changing years of your life.