Student Council provides club bonding through annual feast

Angie Moss, Print Editor in Chief

Cultures from around the world greeted students from varying clubs at Student Council’s annual Club Feast in the Commons last Tuesday.

With such a large array of clubs throughout Manhattan High, it can be hard to get all of them in one place for unification and bonding, and Club Feast is StuCo’s way of doing that. This year’s theme was “Around the World” and was organized by sophomores Blaise Hayden and Anna Katzenmeier.

“We thought [the theme] would be fun because then clubs like French, Spanish, German and AFS could all bring cultural dishes and it would provide more diversity,” Hayden said.

The freshman StuCo class was in charge of decorating the event.

“As it was an ‘Around the World’ theme, we chose to decorate for certain countries, using decorations that reflected the culture of the country,” freshman Meredith Comas said. “We did Mexico, which was a green tablecloth that had small sombrero party hats — they were awesome — and small maracas for centerpieces. For China, we chose a red tablecloth with Chinese lanterns, fortune cookies and little flowery coasters. We also did France, which was a blue tablecloth with white and red ribbons. There was India, which was white with a colorful flowered centerpiece.”

When the decorations were all said and done, the freshman StuCo class took the opportunity to sit back and enjoy the feast.

“[My favorite part was] probably seeing the actual feast because I was able to see all our hard work and planning pay off with everyone having fun and everything looking really nice,” Comas said.

Although the event went relatively smooth, there were still some things that the co-chairs believed could have been done better.

“I honestly didn’t have a ton [of expectations]. I actually got pretty behind planning and had a lot of help,” Katzenmeier said. “I think everything went pretty well. The only thing I would have done differently is having everything more prepared by doing things earlier: sending out invites, catering, etc.”