Boys win over rival Junction City to open league season

Manseeb Hossain, Staff Writer

After losing, it’s often easier to find motivation to win. When the next game is a rivalry, it becomes easier.

Manhattan High (3-1) started off their Centennial League title defense with a 57-30 win over rival Junction City. In an intense game, with student sections roaring, the Indians won their first home game of their season.

Junction City started off with a three to open the scoring, but it wouldn’t get much more. Manhattan turned on its jets and ran to a 20-6 lead, with senior Tommy Ekart scoring 10 of those. MHS never looked back, and cruised to the win.

“They did a great job,” head coach Benji George said on MHS’ performance. “I think on defensive especially that’s where we account all the guys. We were just phenomenal.”

The Indians’ strength was defense as they held Junction City to only six points in the first quarter and eight points in the second quarter.

“They only had 30 points the whole game so our defense [was] really strong,” senior Ian Trapp said.

The win was led by juniors Dawson Stewart and Carson Marsh, and senior Trevor Hudgins. Stewart and Marsh received extended playing time thanks to Manhattan’s large lead, enabling the juniors to get some game-time practice.

“We have some young guys really stepping up now,” Hudgins said. “We got some veterans that have been here for a little bit, so I like the way things are headed right now.”

Manhattan was led in scoring by Ekart with 18 points. Hudgins added 17 of his own to help pace the Indians.

Even though the rivalry led to the potential for MHS to over-hype themselves, Hudgins felt Manhattan kept its emotions in check.

“I think our emotions were good,” Hudgins said. “[We were] pretty excited to play. It was our first home game, [we] haven’t played in about a week.”

Originally, a game against Dodge City was planned for the next day, but it was cancelled due to weather. As a result, Manhattan now breaks for the holidays. The Indians return before the rest of the school though, playing Topeka High on Jan. 3.