Freshman wins district Youth of the Year award

Alyssa Stevens, Staff Writer

Ivy Auletti, freshman, just won district Youth of the Year for the Boys and Girls Club of Manhattan, last Monday. Auletti has been a member of BGC (Boys and Girls Club) since the second grade. She won $1,000 from the competition, $500 for a scholarship and $500  for whatever she wanted to do with. “I’ll also be going to a state competition to compete against other club members around Kansas in order to go to nationals,” Auletti said. Boys and Girls club is an afterschool program where kids can go and do homework, “but for the teen program it’s completely different, but we still do homework if needed. We have certain nights a week, every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights we can go hang out and eat food,” Auletti said.

She wrote her speech about what BGC has done for her family, how BGC had impacted her life  and for autism awareness. Auletti is also president of Keystone club. “Keystone Club is the student body of BGC and we do activities like fundraising for Boys and Girls Club, volunteer work, stuff like that,” Auletti said. Auletti and the vice president of keystone club, AJ Jones, will be going to Chicago in March to a conference with all the other Keystone clubs in america to meet and learn about each other.

Outside of BGC Auletti is on the JV Cheer squad, in drama, in thespians club, currently the lead in a play called ‘Hard Candy’ and she enjoys singing.