GSA keeps pushing forward with goals and events

Elizabeth Alexander, Features Editor

Manhattan High School’s Gay-Straight Alliance have made efforts to keep themselves known this past semester, making sure their message of acceptance and openness is known to all students.

“[Our message is that] it is perfectly alright to be you,” GSA president Cody Bell, senior, said. “No matter who you are, there’s other people in your shoes you can talk to.”

This past year, GSA has put forth many projects, such as their coffee and tea sales, Giving Bean, their meetings with teachers and students at local middle schools to help spread the word of GSA and LGBTQ clubs, and their event involving the Transgendered Day of Remembrance. However, a brand new year and semester of school leaves a fresh slate for GSA to work with, and they have already begun planning.

In their last meeting that took place Thursday, the club not only did a recap of their past projects, but also discussed their plans for the Homecoming shopping cart parade, and even plan to hold an early meeting Thursday to decorate their cart in advance for the event.

Along with that, GSA plans to team up with MHS’ Black Student Union to collaborate in a community project. Currently, the idea is still in the works and has yet to be announced. The main event GSA is looking forward to is the idea of attending the Manhattan LGBTQ Pride Parade coming up in April, an event they attended last year.

Overall, GSA has expanded and become more recognized over the past few years. The club plans to do nothing but continue to raise awareness of what they stand for.

“It’s all fun times when you get outside and get involved with the community,” Bell said. “It’s all worth it in the end.”