Choir students promote Serenade Concert

Mikayla Larkin, Staff Writer

It’s not every day that high school students use social media to promote their events.

As one of the biggest fundraisers, Manhattan High School choir students put on a serenade concert in Rezac Auditorium last Tuesday.   

Seniors Margaret Mankin, Abby Whitney and Kaylee Fritchen came together in an effort to promote the concert to the community.

“The first step we did is we wrote letters to different businesses in town and just said ‘hey we’re looking for donations and this the reasoning for it here’s what we’re going to buy with our donations’ and we sent that to different businesses,” Mankin said, “and then we went out and did follow ups with them so like we went to different businesses and said ‘hey did you get this in the mail, this is the cause’ and a lot of people were like ‘if you hadn’t come to visit we wouldn’t have given you money.’”

However, going out to local businesses was not the only way they fundraised for the event.

“We made the Facebook event and we invited a bunch of people,” Whitney said. “We also have a Twitter account and the girl that ran that she videoed when we were practicing and then she put like 10 seconds of that on [Twitter] so it’s like ‘here’s a pre of what you are going to hear.’”

As a result of all of the promotion, the concert raised $5,700, making it more profitable than they have ever had.