Elementary students perform at Orchestra String Day

Alli Bruce, Staff Writer

Elementary school orchestras came to MHS West Campus to work with the high school musicians for Orchestra String Day on Saturday. Anthony and Eisenhower Middle School orchestras also performed with them.

Orchestra String Day is where elementary school orchestras come up to the west campus high school where they have the opportunity to work with the chamber orchestra on some more challenging pieces, and get to perform a concert with the orchestras from the middle schools.

The day began with the students arriving at 9 a.m. From there the students were divided into groups according to instruments where they received help learning how to play their instrument.

“I helped set up all the sectionals, the group rehearsals and the final concerts.” sophomore Veronica Knight said. “I helped with the sign-in portion and I helped feed lunch and clean up crew.”

They then regrouped to practice some more grade-level pieces before joining the middle schoolers on stage for a combined concert.

“I helped the fifth-grade violinists with their music,” sophomore Anna Mackay said. “I feel like they learned a lot. I was even able to advise some.”

In order to participate in Orchestra String Day, the elementary school students were required to sign up in advance.

“Only half of the students who signed up showed, which was about 78 kids,” Mackay said. “Even so, I feel like it was a good turnout. They all seemed pretty happy and that made me happy.”

Although the day was fun, and overall a success, there were still some minor hiccups.

“Getting into the practice room took a little while so we had to extend the practice time,” Mackay said.

However the good outweighed the bad.

“Some of the main highlights were when everyone was able to get together as a group and practice after their small sectional they had,” Mackay said.  “Also seeing the fun [the elementary students] had during their break for lunch was great.” Some of the students who helped out remember their first time at Orchestra String Day.

“I went to [Orchestra String Day] in 8th grade when he first started it,” Knight said. “This year was much more organized then when I went. We are still working on making everything more smooth but when I went I remembered how mesmerized I was by our chamber group and I set a goal for myself to make that group and I feel that we’re still doing that for all of the groups to come. It’s nice to have a goal to work towards and it helps you become a more strong player.”