Anime Club prepares for final months

Elizabeth Alexander, Features Editor

Pushing through the second semester of the year, Manhattan High School’s Anime Club plans its final, and biggest, events. With their trip to Kansas City’s Naka-Kon coming up right around the corner in March, the club is doing everything they can to prepare for the event. In the process of doing so, they are also doing their part to contribute to the school.

For the past two years, Anime Club and Gay Straight Alliance have been teaming up to run their Giving Bean coffee sales. The goal is to buy a filtered water-bottle-filling station for the school, and after two full school years of raising the money, they say they will more than likely reach their goal.

While the club enjoys contributing to their school, all club members look forward to their most exciting event of the year: Naka-Kon 2017, which takes place March 10-12. Naka-Kon is an anime convention that takes place in Overland Park, where fans of anime, comics, cartoons and cosplay alike come together to socialize and meet. This will be the second year Anime Club will be attending the convention and many of the proceeds the club earned will be going to their trip.

Following right behind Naka-Kon, Manhattan will be finding a convention of its own. March 18, Little Apple Comic Con will be up and running, and the club will be volunteering at the event for the second year in a row. They will be primarily helping lost convention attendees, assisting vendors, watching booths and basic security.

Finally, with the club’s T-shirt sales being a success, they hope to successfully finish up the year with possible sticker sales, designing decor of their mascots and slogan. With all these events, Anime Club then plans to wrap up the whole year with a club party, celebrating a year of fundraising, events and service.

“We’ve been pretty busy this past year,” said Anime Club sponsor Tiffany Stevenson. “We’ve done quite a bit.”