SADD students work alongside Highway Patrol, ensure seatbelt usage

Alli Bruce, Staff Writer

Students Against Destructive Decisions decided to have a surprise seatbelt check in the junior and senior lots last week. Members from SADD stood outside from 6:40 to 7:30 a.m. greeting students who entered the junior and senior lots.

“We still handed out Smarties to people wearing their seatbelt, and Dum Dums to people who were not,” SADD president Mary Jane Benjamin said. “I think we handed out almost no Dum Dumss and quite a large sum of Smarties.”  

Highway Patrol helped SADD in their efforts to keep their peers safe.

“Highway Patrol was super helpful and was more than happy to be here and help us today,” Benjamin said. “I hope they will continue helping in the upcoming years.”

This is the first year that Highway Patrol had helped out with a SADD event.

“They helped pass out candy to students and parents who parked today,” Student Council Representative Cody Bell said.

Along with the seat belt check, cops have been camping out by the junior and senior lots to remind students the importance of wearing seat belts and going the speed limit.  Surprisingly, students were not the only ones in need of a little reminder.

“I personally [think the seatbelt checks are effective]. We almost never catch students without their seatbelts,”  Bell said. “It’s teachers and parents that might not have their seatbelts. It’s effective for students, and a reminder for parents and staff.”

Last time SADD had a seatbelt check was for the annual Red Ribbon week. The week included a number of events that strongly encouraged students to make smart decisions. This week, however, there was no special occasion.

“Well, [we did it] mostly because we wanted to,”Benjamin said. “It’s really fun for us, and the Crime Stoppers suggested it I believe, and our officers agreed so we decided to do it again.