Local band with ties to MHS to perform during SXSW

Lily Colburn, Business Manager

Weezer, The Avett Brothers and the Headlight Rivals. This year’s South by Southwest festival will feature familiar names to anyone but Manhattan High School students specifically. Eric Kleiner, former Manhattan High School student and current security guard, will soon be performing on a stage much bigger the Rezac auditorium’s.

Kleiner’s American Rock and Roll band, Headlight Rivals, will be playing during SXSW in Austin, Texas. Kleiner along with his bandmates, Kris Kleiner and Seven Arizona Black, will play at the Midwest Showcase at Shangri La on March 18. While not playing at SXSW itself, the band will be playing at an event that runs parallel to the festival and attracts many of the same people.

The band has just finished a tour of the midwest, but this will be the biggest event that the group has ever played.

“Probably thousands or even more than thousands will be at our venue, but for the whole SXSW festival, probably millions will be there,” Eric said.

Eric and his bandmates are excited to play but even more excited to attend the festival.

“I’ve never been to SXSW so I’m excited to just go around and see all of the bands and festivities,” Eric said

Eric has been dreaming of playing on a large stage, like SXSW, or even bigger, his entire life. While he went to MHS, Eric was constantly attending shows and performances or playing with his band.

“We were a rock band called The Fallies,” Eric said. “We were just a high school band, so we thought we were better than we were.”

Because of his high school experience, Eric is hoping Headlight Rivals will play more all-age shows once the band gets back from Austin. The group will also be releasing new music videos and a full album in the coming months. Both of which will be available at Sisters of Sound Records and through their Facebook page and Soundcloud.