Girls secure sub-state championship

Michael Simmons, Staff Writer

Despite a scare when sophomore Garin Williams left the basketball court late in the first half with an ankle injury, followed by a slow fourth quarter only scoring eight points, the Manhattan girls managed to beat the Lawrence Free State Firebirds 62-43 to win sub-state.

“We knew that they were going to be a tough team and that they were capable of coming back like they did,” junior Chrissy Carr said. “Our expectation was to get them early and keep them down and be able to just keep the intensity up the whole game.”

MHS had the same strong first quarter that they have had the past few games they have played. They scored 27 points and held Lawrence to only four points at the end of the first quarter. The strong first quarter was led by Carr who scored eight points and sophomore Taylor Johnson who scored six points, all of which came from 3-pointers.

“I feel like we did a great job,” senior Gigi McAtee said. “We really want to focus defensively and we know that our offense is at it’s best when we get defensive stops and I think it all I really came together. We worked the ball well, we got a little antsy when they went zone but after that we slowed it down and got back together.”

While the first quarter was by far the strongest quarter the Lady Indians played throughout the game, they were unable to reach that same level of intensity for the rest of the game, allowing the Firebirds to tighten the gap between them and MHS. In the second quarter Lawrence went on a 16-11 run leaving the score at 38-20 at halftime with MHS leading. From this point on, the Lady Indians relied on their offense to make up for the lack of stops on defense.  

“I feel like we did really good offensively,” Carr said. “I feel like we rebounded really well, although we had a few stretches where we weren’t doing so hot, I feel like we came together and figured it out and we came back out and got results from it, so I think we did good collectively of sharing the ball and making shots. We just played a good game as a team.”

While the Lady Indians beating the Firebirds was nothing less than an entire team effort, there were still some players who carried the MHS offense, such as Carr, McAtee and sophomore Haleigh Harper. Carr was the highest-scoring player with 15 points; 14 from field goals, and one from a free throw. Harper was the second highest-scoring player with 12 points; three from 3-pointers, four from field goals and five from free throws. McAtee was just behind Harper with 11 points.

“I think we all have part to play,” McAtee said. “When teams are pressing or trying to get the ball back my part is to take care of the ball and I felt like everyone played their part and did their job and that’s how we play and how we got the win.”  

The Lady Indians, who are now 21-1, are headed to the State Tournament on Thursday in Wichita where they play against Olathe Northwest (15-7). The MHS girls are ranked second in the state behind Wichita South 22-0 and Olathe Northwest is ranked seventh in the state.

“We’re really excited,” Carr said. “We know that we have to prepare a lot for it, but I think we will be ready for it, we will work on our rebounding and our defense, press specifically, and noticing what teams will throw at us offensively and what they’re press breakers will be.”