Manhattan High receives national accreditation for ninth year

Savannah Cherms, Trending Editor

Manhattan High has done it again. For the ninth year in a row, MHS has been named one of America’s most challenging high schools by the Washington Post. Alongside Manhattan are Kansas schools like Blue Valley North and Shawnee Mission East.

After receiving this award a small handful of times, one might think that this sort of accreditation would be old hat. But principal Greg Hoyt says that is not the case.

“I think it’s become a point of pride for the school and our district and our community, Manhattan and Ogden,” Hoyt said. “I believe in the importance of students taking rigorous courses and so advanced-placement is one of those opportunities and a concurrent course is another. My deal is I want students to be risk takers and to challenge themselves academically, whether they’re going to a four-year school or a two year, or a certificate or degree program it doesn’t matter. I just want students to be risk takers and step out of their comfort zones. It’s challenging for teachers too. Those courses aren’t easy to teach.”

In order to make this list, the Washington Post surveys over 22,000 high schools across the United States. From those schools, they look at the number of Advanced Placement courses and the graduating class. Of the 22,000 schools surveyed only 12 percent make the list. Manhattan High has been a proud member of that 12 percent for nine years now.

When Manhattan High was given this recognition, Hoyt made his pride and joy well known.

“I was very proud of not just the high school but certainly our middle schools and elementary that are preparing students for high school success,” Hoyt said. “I can’t say it was a surprise because I knew we gave over 600 exams last year and our graduating class is going to be 400 or less so I knew, and we should make the list again. I don’t ever want it to become something that is just mundane or taken for granted because I think it says an awful lot about the communities of Manhattan and Ogden and all of the educators in the districts.”

In a press release Hoyt said that the number of students enrolling in Advanced Placement courses and taking the exams continues to grow, an accomplishment he finds joy in.

“I applaud the students and families that accept the challenge of these courses, and the staff members that serve as instructors,” Hoyt said. “Additionally, the growth of this program is not possible without the efforts of our coordinator, Bev Fink, and strong support from the central office and the Board of Education. The communities of Manhattan and Ogden can take great pride in the entire educational system of USD 383.”