Minimum effort; a slippery slope for students

Elizabeth Alexander, Trending Editor

Doing one’s absolute best is something that students will be encouraged to do throughout school, from kindergarten to senior year of university. This motto is a valid one, used more often than not towards students who struggle with success.

However,  the concept of “best” seems to be fuzzy, often being confused with “minimum effort.” Sure, it will get you by, but why would you want to simply get by when you can do more and benefit yourself?

Applying one’s self and setting expectations is a wonderful way to practice self discipline, and everyone knows at least one individual who could use some training in that department. Everyone also more than likely knows someone who could easily meet higher expectations, but simply refuses to apply themselves, thinking that what they do is enough to get them by. This ideology is incredibly unhealthy, and not to mention lazy as all can be.

A recent internet trend I have seen is “encouraging” posts of students who state all the trouble they’ve gotten into before following up with the fact that they still graduated, and that other kids can do it too. These are students who graduated with 2.5 and under grade point averages, who received numerous suspensions and detentions, did seemingly nothing but cause trouble, and still managed to graduate. Yes, it is nice to know they still graduated, but this kind of behavior and performance should not be encouraged. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Every student should be taught the ideology that they should always apply themselves and set their own expectations higher than what is considered “acceptable.” Students should always reach for the stars and give it their all.

However, a light shines at the end of the tunnel. While this is, in my opinion, a problem, I am happy to know that national high school graduation rates are up nearly 83 percent according to National Public Radio. While students are getting past high school, those who stick with getting by might find it difficult getting into any secondary schools. GPA and academic performance for incredibly vital when it comes to applying for university, or even finding a career to carry on with in life.

To me, it is incredibly frustrating to watch peers around me simply do what is considered minimum effort, even though I know they possess the intellectual and academic skills to achieve much higher goals and grades. A prime suspect, however, can often be at fault. Students I witness falling to these customs are often distracted by peers and friends from what they need to work on. I do not encourage dropping friends for no reason, but I simply wish people were more careful about what crowds they choose to hang around.

Your friends are supposed to encourage you to do your best and help you reach your goals. If it’s your friends keeping you from doing such things, perhaps they are not the best influence. More times than not, friends are not forever, but your GPA and grades can be. Be more aware of the effects your current academics have on your future, and do what you can to benefit yourself as much as possible. Minimum efforts gets you by, but only for so long.